Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New beginnings ...

The year is in its infancy, but already there are new things on the horizon. For one, I cleaned off my desk. (don't laugh. that was a chore!) I have all new underwear. (You're laughing again). Really! I threw away all my old underwear New Year's Eve. Out with the old, in with the new. Picked out a new make-up. (I really like Mabelline's BB cream!) and that makes me feel prettier. Had a dinner date for New Year's Eve with a dear friend, and we both agreed we ought to do so more often. And today was the first of 35 radiation treatments for breast cancer.

Yup, you read right. The "unknown" I spoke of last turned out to be cancer, followed by two surgeries, and now radiation treatment. I will beat this, but I also reserve the right to have periodic emotional meltdowns. I am, after all, human. Due to the sophisticated mammography available now it was caught VERY early. I can't urge you enough if you are a female reader, or urge your female friends should you be male, to have this valuable screening.

And while nearly 100% survival rate is assured me, nothing reduces the initial trauma, shock of having words like cancer, oncology, radiation, etc put into your here-to-fore cancer free vocabulary. There were a few folks who said "It's not really cancer, you don't have to have a mastectomy", or "it's pre-cancer", ad nauseum. To the patient, it's still terrifyingly real. So, if a friend or co worker has to face this, NEVER EVER diminish what she is feeling.

In fact, you should never diminish anything someone else is feeling, as you have no accurate means of assessing said feelings. I have been reminded in the past few months, that while everyone reacts to things differently, the need for a strong shoulder to lean on remains the same. You will be the best friend, if you let him/her vent, and as the Arabic proverb goes, "gather in all of the harvest, keep the grain, and with a breath of kindness, blow away the chaff."

So, here is to all 2013 will bring us. Stand tall, take care of yourself, and be the kind of friend you want to have.

1 comment:

  1. May Christ our Lord richly bless you Patty and bring you a year filled with love, joy and good health.

    ReplyDelete