Thursday, March 15, 2012



We take so many things for granted these days.  Speech, for instance. Computers open the world to those who are shut in, or ill, or retired, or just "internet junkies". But what if your spelling leaves a lot to be desired, or your thought processes don't seem to spill onto your keyboard.  My kids and I bought "Dragon Naturallyspeak"  as a Christmas gift for someone with just those issues.  We had such success with it we recommended it to another friend with a mind a sharp as a tack, but fingers that don't work anymore. His speech is slightly affected by surgical procedures, but Dragon "learns" what a person says, how he speaks, etc.  Magic!

The Kindle craze is another thing.  NOTHING, short of NOTHING will ever replace books for me, I love their smell, how they feel in my hands,  everything about them. But those same hands are affected by the normal aging process, and holding a book for any length of time can become painful.  With not much confidence in the thing, I acquired my first Kindle. Wow!  Without spending a dime I amassed an impressive library of classics, public domain books.  I have solemnly apologized to my Kindle for ever doubting it.

I'm not just doing an advertisement for Kindles or Dragons, mind you, I'm instead trying to suggest you take a good look at some of the folks in your life, and ascertain whether or not such modern marvels would make their lives easier.  We DO take too much for granted.

It's the little things we do that last the longest.  I am reminded of a quote by George Bernard Shaw, who writes ...  "I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community and as long as I live, it is my privilege to do for it whatever I can. I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work the more I live."

I'd like to think that will apply to me, when I am finally face to face with my Maker.  Daddy's favorite poem was "Let me live by the side of the road, and be a friend to man."  He was, and so am I.

My challenge to you is to look around  you. Are you doing all you could do? Are you "giving back" to the community?  Go volunteer at the hospital for a few hours a week, you know you have the time for that ... and when you drive home, you'll feel better than you did before.

As always, thanks for spending a few minutes with me ...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment