Saturday, November 13, 2010

"blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape"

"blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape."   It's an expression of which I do not know the origin, but certainly one out of which I get a lot of mileage.  This weekend is a perfect example of that. Unexpected medical "urgencies" (as opposed to emergencies), which could very easily louse up the next few months, domino style. I'm sure you're familiar with such things.  You get all the dominoes lined up ... have your plan set.  And then something knocks over the first domino.  And down go the rest of them. 

What's your "cure" for that. What do you do to "cope" with things.  I have a few things that come to mind .. one of course is obvious to a quilter. Another quick fix is to spend some quality time with my cat.  I look at his eyes, his whiskers, listen to his purr, rub him the way he likes best ... Or I tend to my violets.  All of these things may remind you of your GRANDMOTHER, but they work. That, and I think about "blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape."

It really doesn't matter what your faith perspective is (I like that commercial where the gal who plays the part of Divya on Royal Pains says "I believe that all paths lead to God") ... the bottom line is the same.  Be flexible. Let go. Let God (He's going to be up all night anyway).  Take a deep breath. Go for a walk. In the overall scheme of things, does what you're upset about, does what upset your dominoes, really change the world? Maybe it alters your short term plans, or even your long term goals.  But then you really have no guarantees as to what tomorrow will bring anyway. Today's all we really have.  A friend of mine takes his dog for a walk on the beach. I have a photo of him standing in the water, maybe a bit more than ankle deep, at dawn, with a cup of coffee.  What an incredible start to a day.  I watch my little furry buddies come for dinner after dark, and smile, and think "what a neat sight for the end of the day".  

SO, be flexible. Bake a pie with the lemons you were served. Remember that the bitter makes the sweet all the more sweeter .  Instead of shaking your fist at the snow, close your eyes, tip your head back stick out your tongue and be a child again, catching snowflakes as they fall. Favorite TV show get pre-empted by a sporting event? Go curl up with a book. Fix a pot of tea. NOT in the microwave, but in a pot. Properly steeped. with a pretty cup. Take care of your spirit, and let it be flexible, so it doesn't break.

No comments:

Post a Comment