Monday, October 18, 2010

“You must live in the present ...

“You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment.” Henry David Thoreau

I was looking for a quote about faith, but found none that said what I am feeling this evening. So, back to Thoreau.  A lot of things have been happening lately, to me, to my family, to my loved ones, to people in my circle of friendship. Some of these things are real "faith testers" to say the least. I have been reminded lately that we are only guaranteed "today" ... yesterday is over, and tomorrow is an unhatched chicken.  We never know what moment may be our last, or what moment may be the last for someone we love.  I ache for a quilter friend of mine who lost a treasured pet.  I worry about impending surgery for my spouse. Another dear dear friend prepares to boldly challenge cancer.  I think back not so many months ago, when I sat in the living room on a Monday night, talking with Daddy, about this, that or the other thing, I can't even remember what at this point. Seventeen hours later he was gone.  For months I curled inside of myself, wearing his sweater, and going over and over in my mind did I tell him I loved him enough, did I do all I could have done, all the "Monday morning quarterbacking" techniques to which human nature falls prey.

But Daddy lived in the present.  He lived each day the way he wanted to (often much to my consternation). I wonder now do I live each moment given to me, or do I squander it worrying about things I cannot change, or worrying about what might happen tomorrow. I make it a point to smell the flowers in the grocery store. I make it a point to put food out for my critters, and marvel each night when they come to eat ... I never tire of looking at them, and appreciating their Maker's handiwork.

Am I as good a steward with my time? with my abilities? Do I put into each day as much as I take out of it? At the end of the day, can I say I was all I could be? Food for thought. My challenge to you today is to look at your day's efforts. Were you all you could be? Were  you a good steward with your time and abilities?  Perhaps tomorrow you might think about these things ... and do without procrastinating. Don't assume you told  your kids you love them as they set out for school. Don't figure the rest of your family knows you love them as they go about their tasks.   Dig out that quilt you've been meaning to finish, and finish it.  Think about it ... !





No comments:

Post a Comment