Sunday, October 17, 2010

Today's thought ...

“America is not like a blanket-one piece of unbroken cloth, the same color, the same texture, the same size. America is more like a quilt-many patches, many pieces, many colors, many sizes, all woven and held together by a common thread.” Jesse Jackson quotes (American Civil-Rights Leader, Baptist Minister and Politician, b.1941)

I had to laugh when I first came across this. My husband isn't "into" quilts. For him, it's a blanket. Me, on the other hand, I cannot sleep without a quilt!! At one point, I sewed half a blanket to half a quilt, and put THAT on the bed, and explained to the housekeeper that it was a 'blankquilt'. I know she figures I'm a nut to begin with ...

So much of Jackson's quote is overlooked these days ... Our country is so divided by so many things. While I am not about to wax philosophical on politics, I will dare to say that it would behoove every American to step back and think about the vision of a quilt. Hey, even a "crazy" quilt. How many times in quilt making have you turned up your nose at a piece of fabric, either for its color, or its pattern, and yet when it gets put into the quilt it gets lost in becoming part of the whole. It's not longer that ugly duckling piece, it becomes part of the supporting cast of the quilt's design. I think it's that way for the whole human race, for an individual country's demographics, and for each town and community across the map. So what do we take away with us after reading that quote. Simply this: that in the grand scheme of things, we are all part of that utterly breath taking quilt the Lord sees.

My challenge to you is to take another look at your stash of scraps. See the individual pieces for their unique beauty. None of them are ugly, not when they're part of the whole.



No comments:

Post a Comment