Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Never scratch with a short stick!



"Colours fade, temples crumble, empires fall, but wise words endure." Edwards Thorndike
It's funny the things people say that stick with us ... when some of the really important stuff slides off the radar! I'd like to think I have a half way decent memory, but there are days I sure couldn't prove it ... when I can't find my glasses (because I shoved them to the top of my head) or I've lost my car keys (clipped to my purse where they belong). I think the quotes that stay with us survive for a reason.  Because Someone, who knows more about life than we do, thinks those quotes just might come in handy some day. 
I spent hours today trying to learn and understand all that Google has to offer ... and at the end of the day I'm not sue just what all I've really learned. Then I look for a quote to share with you, and in reading through potential offerings, I find bits and pieces of wisdom to tuck away in my own mind.  This was one of them.  A lot is said about antiquity,  and the study of cultures long gone. And it's true, though their buildings  have crumbled and the pottery has been smashed, the scratchings on walls, even in tombs, survives. The people who put those words somewhere hoped they would endure the tests of time. They wanted future peoples to read them, to learn from them, to preserve them even further. 
An English teacher once told me there were only seven basic plots to literary works. I don't see how that's possible, but then she knew more than I did.  When I think back on my school days, it's the bits and pieces the teachers said at odd moments that stuck with me, long after I've lost my letter sweater, my yearbook, and got rid of my class ring because it made my finger break out.  It has been the words that lasted.
Even in my quilting experiences, it is often the inscription on an older quilt that piques my interest, rather than the design of the quilt. On my bed right now is an oversized quilt that was made in 1992, and almost every block has an inscription. Words of encouragement, some are prayers, some only signatures. Time and washing have faded those inscriptions, but they are still treasures to me, and will continue to be long after that quilt is permanently retired. I've considered cutting the quilt up into smaller quilts, so that I may drag some of it around with me when I travel, or put a piece of it across the back of a chair ...
So, in the grand scheme of things, have a mind for the words you speak! You'll never know if they'll be remembered, cherished, or forgotten, but as the prayer says "make my words good and tender today, for tomorrow I may have to eat them!"

No comments:

Post a Comment