Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Leave the light on ...

Try to leave a light on when I'm gone, something I rely on to get home, one I can feel at night, a naked light, a fire to keep me warm.

Those are the words of a song that my daughter posted on her facebook page.  When we were little kids, no doubt we had a trusted blanket, or stuffed animal to which we seemed to be permanently attached.  My firstborn had "I-Cat". My middle daughter had her "holding blanket", and my son had his "T-cat", who has been there thru thick and thin ... and even made an appearance at his graduation from college.  She earned that right, to be sure. All three kids had quilts and blankets made for them, some by me, some by others.  But the one that sticks with me most was my son's.  He was 4 or 5, I think, and on one of my forays into a fabric shop was smitten with a particular piece that was blue hearts, inside a log cabin layout.  It was one of those preprinted quilt fabrics, all you had to do was quilt it.  He announced he wanted a "Love" quilt.  Nothing else was to be done but that I buy a chunk of that, and quilt it for him. He supervised my daily efforts at the frame, counting each block as I finished it, and coming home from kindergarten each day asking if it was done yet.  Finally, the last block I machine quilted just to get it DONE!  He was obsessed with that thing.  Then he told me why.  The hearts told him how much I loved him.  Snif!  All the pricked fingers and nagging was forgotten, as I wrapped him up in it and held him.  In later  years borders were added when he graduated to a twin sized bed.  Laura's quoted song made me think of that again ... 

Have you gifted your loved ones with the "something to rely on to get me home"?  To this day I leave a small light on at night ... not sure why exactly, my kids are grown and gone and not likely to show up in the dead of night, but for some reason I leave a light in a window.  My younger daughter (the middle kid) insisted we buy a proper "holding blanket" for my son, so here I was, waddling around in the mall 12 months pregnant while she went from store to store to find just the right one ... 

... and to this day, the dearest people in my life have been gifted with a quilt. That piece of love to keep them warm.  My best friend and quilting mentor and I made "me and thee" quilts.  Each of us made part of the other's quilt, and I'm not ashamed to admit I drag it everywhere I travel. It lives on the back of my chair, but it goes on car trips, overnights, any time I am gone for any period of time.  I take her love with me.  

My challenge to you, have you given your loved ones the "something to rely on to get them home",   ... have you put the lighted candle in the window of your heart?  For those of you old enough to remember war years, the saying was 'leave a lighted lucky in the window' ... 

peace ... 

No comments:

Post a Comment